Monday, October 7, 2024

Artificial Intelligence in Education

 


Artificial Intelligence in Education

image source: https://www.analyticsinsight.net/

Do I? 

I use artificial intelligence sparingly. Although I do rely on spell check, Suri, and Alexa at home. In the classroom, I have not yet explored much AI. We have used Canva template to guide different presentations and reports. I can see how AI is revolutionizing how we teach and learn. 

I have installed Grammarly on student Chromebooks to enhanced personal learning experiences.  This program helps my students and myself recognize spelling and grammar errors. We have also used an app called Paper, which helped students edit and revise writing pieces. Sorry to all my die-hard English teachers, I missed the boat on this one.

In the classroom apps such as Freckle have helped students in my class. It offers adaptive content within the learning continuum. This targeted practice can boost, help remediate and target a certain content area or standard.  Other apps also offer explicit content to help provide support and enrichment for those individual students. AI helps differentiate instruction. 

Some tools offer accessibility to students with impairments such as CoWriter

Many programs offer data-driven insights based on assignments which help guide instruction efficiently. Most of our curriculums such as Savvas, STEMscopes, and Google Classroom let me see data in real time. 

So Do I use AI?

I do. 

Let’s Explore!

The tool I chose to explore for this blog was ChatGPT. I saw a colleague help another adult learner write an essay for an anatomy class a few weeks ago. I have never cheated- I mean I have never used ChatGPT in any form before so I thought for the purpose of this blog, let’s give it a whirl! In fact I called that colleague to ask her what the application was called. She was very helpful in the sense she gave me the name of it and told me to be careful because often times students are flagged for plagiarism.  I would be lying if I didn’t say I tried to use it for this post. But let me explain first.

I went started by Googling “ChatGPT” and was surprised at how user-friendly it was. I typed in “Blog post in artificial intelligence in education,” and within seconds- seconds! I had a six-paragraph explanation that didn’t sound terrible, but it also didn’t sound like me. The terms and the wordage weren’t on point. 

I further selected the six-paragraph ChatGPT created blog and entered it into Grammarly to check for plagiarism. Fun fact, I had to do both steps twice so I could get an image to add to the blog. Are you surprised I got the same exact results both times? This was a big turn-off that it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. 

Grammarly flagged “significant plagiarism” within the text. I wasn’t at all surprised because my friend had warned me about it. 

I think this would be frustrating as a high school English teacher, however, I am sure there is an AI program that detects this type of effort or lack thereof. 

Within the plagiarized, ChatGPT, I did find some information that I did use in this post. The headings were organized and were able to guide my thought process because I do use AI, I am just so used to using teaching tools that they don’t seem so taboo as something like ChatGPT. 

I think with all this research, I will stick to district approved resources.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection

  The Final Blog image source: erintegration.com My views on technology in education have changed significantly since this last semester. I ...